Prestigious University of London degree
Small class sizes
Choose your specialism
Work experience and mentoring
Earn while you learn with part-time study options
Wherever your career is heading next, a law degree is a fantastic springboard.
Our LLB Law (Graduate Entry) is for anyone who has a degree and is looking to study law. You could be seeking to develop your professional skills, become a practising lawyer or want to explore the many other careers a law degree opens up to you. The flexibility of this fast-track – which can be spread over three to six years – makes it ideal for fitting around work or family commitments.
After Year One, you can shape your studies in the direction that most interests you. You might want to focus on commercial or international law. Or take modules that form the foundation for a career as a practising solicitor or barrister. (Please note: the availability of pathways may vary from year to year.)
Why study with us?
Our Bachelor of Laws Degree is awarded by the University of London. So you’ll go away with a qualification with strong international currency from a world renowned university – opening the door to careers in law and many other wide-ranging fields.
Our class sizes – which we keep deliberately small – mean you get a lot more time to talk to your tutors than at other universities. You’ll have the chance to delve deeper into your subjects, and access the focused support you need to gain full value from your studies.
Real-world work experience is another well-known advantage for aspiring lawyers and those interested in related careers. Which is why all our students are introduced to prestigious Jersey lawyers while studying with us. With our support, you’ll have the opportunity to take part in our mentoring scheme, and be introduced to work experience opportunities with leading offshore law firms that can be difficult to secure elsewhere.
On top of this, you’ll be based right here in Jersey, so you won’t have to travel far from home to get the flexible, high quality degree you want to take your career forward.
Find out more about the benefits of a University of London qualification
What do our students think?
3 years full time, up to 6 years part time, depending on how many modules you take each year
Fees for students enrolling Sept 2023:
- circa £9,000 (TBC)
Scholarships and bursaries
- The Institute of Law Endowment Fund provides scholarships and bursaries for students on this course. Please email email@example.com for more information
How to apply:
- Apply through the links below
- You’ll provide evidence of existing qualifications and a supporting personal statement
- Selection will be based on your application and an interview
- Interviews usually take place in March (for early applicants), June (for those who apply by 15 June), and September (for late applicants)
Friday, 1 September 2023
- A relevant degree from this list
- If you’re a non-native English speaker, you must meet the University of London entrance requirements in English language
- The English common law system (used in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh; covering 30% of the world’s population)
- The subjects needed to become a solicitor or barrister or
- Specialist pathways in commercial or international law
- A solid legal foundation
- Career-ready skills in critical thinking, research, problem solving, verbal and written communication
- Great preparation for your future working life
Where can it take you?
Our Bachelor of Laws Degree will stand you in good stead with future employers – with a curriculum that covers the English legal system and work experience gained while studying with us.
With a degree from one of London’s top universities under your belt, you’ll be well equipped to work as a solicitor or barrister in the UK, or an advocate or solicitor in Jersey.
The course is also an excellent springboard into a master’s, or a diverse range of other careers, including banking, finance, public law, environmental law, or human rights.
Our degree will also set you up to work with NGOs, intergovernmental organisations and charities – whether that’s in a leading, offshore legal and financial centre like Jersey, London or Paris, or anywhere around the globe.
- LLB Level 4: Criminal Law, Contract Law, Public Law, plus an online Legal Method and Skills short module
- LLB Level 5: Tort Law and two further modules from your specialism
- LLB Level 6: Jurisprudence and two further modules from your specialism
From Year Two onwards, you can specialise in the kind of law you want to pursue.
- Choose Foundations of Legal Knowledge if you’re on the path to becoming a solicitor or barrister
- If you’d prefer to specialise in commercial or international law, we offer pathways in these practice areas
(Please note: the availability of pathways may vary from year to year.)
Learning, teaching and assessment
Studying at the Institute of Law Jersey means you’ll benefit from small class sizes for both your lectures and tutorials, scheduled to fit flexibly around your work commitments and lifestyle.
We’re an approved University of London (UoL) teaching centre. So you’ll have access to UoL teaching materials and curriculum, but with all the benefits of local study support here in Jersey, and the facilities of a campus-style environment.
When you register, you’ll also get access to the University of London Student Portal. You can then access key resources including:
- The Laws Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) with online access to all your programme materials, resources, and audio and video lectures
- An Online Induction (available twice a year) offering live Q&A sessions on the VLE, study skills, the Online Library and Level 4 modules
- Discussion forums for each module, where you can share perspectives with fellow students from all over the world
- The Online Library which provides access to over 100 million academic e-books, e-journals, conference recordings etc. You can also request items not held in the library via the library’s Inter-Library loans service with the British Library. You’ll also have access to more than 10 legal databases, including Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw and other valued materials
- Lecture Plus: for some modules, you can view a recorded lecture and engage afterwards in a dedicated discussion forum
- Practice exam questions: for some modules, you can get receive feedback on how you’re performing against the criteria applied by examiners
- Multimedia module guides: these guides use multimedia resources to break down the topics in each module.
All modules (except the dissertation) are assessed entirely by written examination. These are held in May/June and October. You can sit a maximum of two modules in the October session.
Living in Jersey
The quality of life, safe location, and beautiful surroundings make Jersey a fantastic place to live and study – with London and the Continent both easily accessible. Find out more
University of London
The University of London is one of the world’s leading universities, and a world renowned provider of legal education. Find out more
Students from outside the UK or Common Travel Area will need a visa to study in Jersey. Please see our guide to help with applications.
There are plenty of accommodation options on the island – from halls to private rentals. Find out more