Study for a University of London LLB law degree in Jersey
The Institute enables students in Jersey to study for the University of London LLB. This prestigious law degree can be a stepping-stone to qualifying as a lawyer in Jersey, England and Wales and many other jurisdictions. Law is also a fascinating subject to study in its own right.
Having a course that is flexible and suited to the needs of a student is of utmost importance, and so rather than follow a system which focuses on years it will take to complete the course, the University of London LLB instead operates on a level system; undergraduates take 12 subjects over Levels 4, 5 and 6, and students who are already graduates take 9 over the same Levels, taking one fewer subject per Level. Because of this, there is no standard route; instead students can take 1-5 modules per year, dependent on personal circumstances, over a maximum of 6 years for a qualifying law degree. Study sessions, led by experienced academics from the UK, take place on weekday evenings, Saturdays, and Sundays. The degree requires a regular commitment to additional private study.
We also offer the LLB Double Degree, which allows you to study for French and English law degrees concurrently.
For school leavers, we expect a minimum of BCC at A2-level, 25 IB points or the equivalent in other exams. We accept a wide range of academic and professional qualifications from mature students, including Access to HE diplomas. If you are awaiting exam results, you may be made a conditional offer.
How much does it cost?
The Institute’s tuition fees for 2018-19 are:
- £1650 per module *
For a full breakdown of the University of London’s fees, please visit the University of London website.
This is still significantly less than studying for an equivalent degree in the UK
* This does not includes the University of London’s fees or the Highlands College exam fees (circa £100/module).
For students who self-study or need to retake a module we also offer:
- Revision sessions: £150.00 + booking fee per module, this gives you access to the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and to the 6 hours class revision session led by a university lecturer.
In addition, Jersey-based students may be eligible to receive a grant from the States of Jersey on the same basis as if they were studying at a UK University.
Teaching starts in late September, and we recommend students apply as early as possible from 1 February onward; applications need to be received by the Institute as soon as possible to guarantee your place.
- Research the degree by visiting the University of London website, and checking our brochure. If you have questions or would like an informal discussion with Institute of Law staff please visit us in person by appointment, email or telephone 01534 826060. This is not part of the selection process.
- Apply for a place at the Institute by completing our online application form. You may be asked to an interview with the Director of Studies or other senior staff, designed to test your verbal reasoning skills and your motivation for studying law. If you are outside Jersey, we may interview you by phone or using online conferencing software. Expect the interview to last about 15 minutes. We also ask for a handwritten personal supporting statement.
- Apply online for admission to the University of London and send educational certificates to London. Most applicants can expect to hear the outcome of their applications within six weeks.