Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) Preparation
Become a qualified solicitor in England & Wales with BARBRI, partner of the Jersey Institute of Law.
The Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and the Legal Practice Course (LPC) are being phased out and replaced by the new Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE). With that change comes an entirely new way of testing your legal knowledge and skills.
Why pursue qualification through the SQE?
- The SQE offers greater flexibility, spreading the preparation course and exam fees over longer time periods.
- The SQE and the opportunity for Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) in place of a traditional training contract allows flexible entry into the profession.
- Many LPC providers will discontinue their course or migrate to SQE preparation, making it difficult to gain a place in an affordable or convenient LPC.
- From 2022, most employers will expect their future trainees to have qualified under the SQE.
What are the SQE Exam Formats?
The SQE1 exam will test the application of Functioning Legal Knowledge. This is a computer-based, multiple-choice test. The SQE2 is the second part of the SQE assessment and tests practical legal skills in the context of Functioning Legal Knowledge.
The SQE1 exam consists of:
- Two assessments over the course of two days.
- There will be 360 questions in total – 180 in each assessment.
- Day one will cover: Business Law and Practice; Dispute Resolution; Contract; Tort; Legal System of England and Wales; Constitutional and Administrative Law and EU Law and Legal Services.
- Day two will cover: Property Practice; Wills and the Administration of Estates; Solicitors Accounts; Land Law; Trusts; Criminal Law and Practice.
The SQE2 exam consists of:
- Four oral assessments over two half days.
- Day one will cover Advocacy (Dispute Resolution) and Interview and attendance note/legal analysis (Property Practice).
- Day two will cover Advocacy (Criminal Litigation) and Interview and attendance note/legal analysis (Wills and Intestacy, Probate Administration and Practice)
- 12 written legal skills assessments over the course of three half-days.
- The written assessments will cover: Case and Matter Analysis; Legal Writing; Legal Research and Legal Drafting.
How do I qualify as a solicitor in England & Wales?
You can study and take the exams with our partner BARBRI:
Option 1: 40-week part-time course, 10-12 study hours per week
Option 2: 20-week part-time course,
20 study hours per week
Option 3: 10-week full-time course,
40 hours study per week
All SQE1 Prep courses are priced at £2,999.
The BARBRI SQE2 Prep course is delivered part-time over the course of 12 weeks.
The Standard SQE2 Prep course is priced at £3,499.
The BARBRI SQE1 Alumni is priced at £2,999.
BARBRI’s innovative SQE Prep courses provide you with all the tools you need to successfully complete your studies regardless of your degree background. We provide students with a structured and supportive learning environment which is both time and cost-effective. Our courses are flexible, adaptable and technology-led, giving students all the tools needed for success in the SQE exams. At BARBRI we teach you exactly what it takes to pass the exam.
If you would like to find out more about how BARBRI prepares you to sit the SQE exams contact us here
Institute of Law Alumni are eligible for a 20% discount on the above fees.
Non-alumni are also eligible for a referral discount of 5%.
Please contact us for further details on these discounts.
Sitting your SQE Exams in Jersey
We are aware that there is not currently an approved examination centre in Jersey. We have requested that this be arranged, but you may wish to contact Kaplan SQE if you would like to request a Jersey centre using the following address: